Do you ever feel like you were born out of time and place? Yeah…me too. I’m sure I would still feel the same had I been born in any other place and time.
I am a photojournalist based in Orange County (yes, I passed through the local rite of passage called “working at Disneyland,”) in sunny Southern California. I spent a lot of time trying to make this little blurb sound profound; instead, let me shoot some bullet points your way:
- My photo career began as a staffer for daily newspapers.
- If I hadn’t become a photographer, I probably would have pursued barbering. Or maybe engineering. Same difference.
- I think the still image contains a certain amount of prophetic power to personalize esoteric ideas, and effect change over the short and long term. I try to wield that power with humility…it’s a work in progress.
- I wonder about the untold millions (billions?) of people who never had their photo made. Would we still consider their lives valuable in contemporary society?
- As much as I love Edward Hopper’s paintings, it would be fascinating to see his world through the lens of a camera, too.
- Well-crafted photo stories, like well-crafted songs, demand a response from a viewer. My goal is always to use photography to touch the heart and jumpstart the mind, asking the viewer to engage the people in the photos with all their faculties.
Let’s craft those stories together and see where they lead. I want to hear from you…